Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rething Literacy

I liked David Warlick's take on education today and into the future (admittedly, I didn't love him as much as Sir Ted Robinson).  The concept of redefining literacy is imperative; students no longer sit passively while teachers drown on about Reading, Riting, and Rithmatic.  Students are now taught to engage, ask questions, and interact with the material that they are learning.  Because educators don't know what the future has in store for all of us, we have to prepare our students to be courage enough to try new things. 

Warlick's attention to ethics, regarding to the technology and everywhere in the classroom, was interesting as well.  It is easy to forget that most of our students will have no working memory of the 20th century (because they will have been born post Y2K!!).  Because they do not know what it is like to live in a world where you cannot share everything at every moment, it's important to include how to ethically use and apply this information in the classroom and everywhere in their lives.  I am sit on a fine line of growing up with technology.  My first computer I remember was a laptop that had Candyland.  Candyland was on a B drive disk (a disk that was actually floppy).  When I was older, we had the Muppet's Printing Program.  All of our signs were printed with Muppet character's heads as pictures, but the printer was a crank wheel with sheets of paper that had to be torn apart.  And I was a freshman when facebook was introduced to the world.  I have reservations about sharing my every thought with the whole world, but my students probably won't.  Mostly likely blogging about how great last weekend was will be a normal occurrence for them.  My experience with technology is so outdated now, it's making me laugh out loud as I type this (should I have used LOL??)

No comments:

Post a Comment